Global Money Week!
Theme: ‘Learn.Save.Earn.’ | 27 March - 2 April 2017
What is Global Money Week (GMW)?
GMW is an annual global celebration, initiated by Child & Youth Finance International (CYFI), with local and regional events and activities aimed at inspiring children and youth to learn about money, saving, creating livelihoods, gaining employment and becoming an entrepreneur.
What was the theme of Global Money Week 2017?
GMW2017’s theme: ‘Learn.Save.Earn.’
- Learn: Educating children and young people about their social and economic rights and responsibilities is key to creating a generation of capable adults who can make wise decisions for their future
- Save: It is important for children and youth to build clever savings habits from an early age in order to cultivate key money-managing skills for later in life
- Earn: Developing livelihoods skills or receiving entrepreneurial training supports children and young people with getting a job or building their own business and developing their careers.
When is Global Money Week?
Global Money Week (GMW) is held in March each year. This year GMW took place from 27 March - 2 April 2017.
GMW 2016 involved more than 7 million children and youth participants in 132 countries! Previous Global Money Weeks have reached:
- 2016 – 7 million children & youth, 132 countries, 13,950 organizations, over 33,278 activities;
- 2015 – 5.6 million children & youth, 124 countries, 962 organizations, over 3000 activities;
- 2014 – 3 million children & youth, 118 countries, 490 organizations, over 2000 activities;
- 2013 – 1 million children & youth, 80 countries, 400 organizations;
- 2012 – 33 000 children & youth, 21 countries (Child Finance Day/Week).
Where is GMW happening?
Everywhere. GMW is an international Week, with many events, activities, projects, launches and competitions taking place in over 130 countries.
Who can get involved in GMW?
Anybody. Anywhere. Anytime - can get involved in GMW. Whether you are a student, employee, parent or guardian. Whether you are from an educational institution, financial authority, NGO, government institution, company, or community organization.
Where can you learn more about GMW?
Why celebrate GMW?
What makes GMW activities so exceptional is the active involvement of children and youth in the planning, organizing and actualization of events, as well as in the discussions and knowledge sharing opportunities that commence. We want to make sure that the opinions of the next generation are heard so that the decision makers of tomorrow may take active part in the policy discussions of today. Your participation brings the world one step closer to ensuring that every child will have access to economic education, the opportunity to use financial services, a reliable source of income, and the ability to develop money-managing skills.
By celebrating Global Money Week you are:
- Encouraging children and youth in your community;
- Supporting financial education for children and youth;
- Connecting with partners, colleagues, friends, families, children and youth;
- Eligable to win a Global Money Week award;
- Being part of the CYFI Movement.
About Child & Youth Finance International (CYFI)
Poverty is a global challenge. It has so many enduring effects on people, their communities and their countries.
CYFI sees that that the key to fighting poverty is for people to learn how to manage and handle money, and have the confidence, knowledge and responsibility to spend and earn it responsibly. This must start from childhood.
So CYFI has partnered with thousands of organizations in 132 countries around the world - from banks, to governments, to NGOs, to academics – you name it! Together, they work to create policies and programs that make children and youth able to learn about money, have access to a bank account, develop entrepreneurial skills and, most importantly, to believe in themselves.
To read our publications, please visit: Child & Youth Finance International Publications.