What is Global Money Week (GMW)?
GMW, a Child & Youth Finance International (CYFI) initiative, is an annual financial awareness campaign built to inspire children and young people to learn about money matters, livelihoods and entrepreneurship.
How does Global Money Week Campaign work?
In brief, organizations across the world organize their own GMW events during the Week, and share news, photos and information with the GMW Organizing Team at Child & Youth Finance International (CYFI). News of all these activities are linked to each other via the social media, the GMW website and the Global Inclusion Awards.
How to plan your own Global Money Week?
There is no participation fee! See below the steps of how to easily plan your own GMW Campaign in your country:
- Explore GMW website with available resources, materials and inspiring ideas for your GMW.
- Initiate and take the lead on GMW Campaign in your country and make it suitable for the topics you wish to highlight during the Week.
- Collaborate with diverse groups of organizations and institutions to plan GMW branded events and activities for children and youth.
- Make sure your event is branded as a Global Money Week event. Read more in the ‘Global Money Week Branding & Style Guidelines 2019’ document here.
- Before the event, fill out GMW Pre-Form 2019 to report on the events and activities that you are planning to organize during GMW2019, no later than 11 March 2019. The information provided is used for the GMW daily newsletter. Read more here.
- After the event, fill out the GMW Post-Form 2019 to send us photos and report on the events and activities that took place during GMW2019 no later than 16 April 2019. The information provided is used for the GMW Report 2019 and the website. Read more here.
Read more here.
How do we support you as you organize your Global Money Week?
We support you in the following ways:
- Offering you resources that can help you plan your Week (toolkit, brochure, teaching materials, GMW logos, etc.). See ‘Resources’ section on the GMW website.
- Explore ideas and offer advice to help you run a successful GMW.
- Link you to other partners in your country or worldwide.
- Invite you to webinars prior to GMW2019 to share GMW news and meet other participants.
- Keep you connected with the Campaign by sharing the latest updates with you.
- Collecting data from the participants via the GMW Pre- and Post-Forms to generate the GMW Report 2019 with Campaign and country highlights.
- Share your events via social media and the GMW newsletter before, during and after GMW.
Is there a fee to take part?
Absolutely not! All that we ask from you is that you keep us updated on your Global Money Week activities by filling out the Pre-Form (before the event) here and the Post-Form (after the event) here.
Why is it important to teach children and youth about money matters from a young age?
The earlier children learn about money, savings and investment, the better they manage their personal finances throughout their lives. These skills help children and youth to understand the difference between earning, saving and spending, making them better money managers, who are able to budget and have healthier money habits. It also helps children understand how to manage money at an early age and teaches them make better financial decisions regarding student loans, housing, first car, travel, and other expenses.
What is the goal of Global Money Week?
We believe that today’s children and youth should become empowered economic citizens, capable of understanding the importance of saving, and equipped with the skills to be employed and create their own livelihoods. We want young people to learn to manage their money wisely. By empowering children and youth, we can help them create a positive wave that will expand from themselves, to their families and to entire communities. Global Money Week is a time when the whole world can celebrate and engage in these important topics.
When is Global Money Week?
GMW is held in March each year. GMW2019 will take place from 25 – 31 March 2019.
Who can participate?
Anybody. Anywhere. Whether you represent a community, company or country. Whether you are an individual, a group, an institution or an entire population – we encourage everyone who believes in investing in the next generation to participate. Make sure to connect with the leading organization in your country for a more impactful national GMW. Do not forget to explore ‘Countries’ page here for more details.
Where is Global Money Week happening?
Everywhere. GMW is an international campaign, with many events, activities, projects, launches and competitions organized by over 150 participating countries globally. Click here to see where Global Money Week has taken place in the past.
What happens during Global Money Week?
During GMW, national organizations, such as government bodies, ministries, financial institutions, central banks, not-for-profit and youth organizations, local businesses, universities, schools and others work together to organize different types of activities for children and youth to spark excitement around the topic of ‘Learn.Save.Earn.’ through:
- visits to banks, parliaments, central banks, stock exchanges, currency exchanges, money museums, local businesses, and global corporate companies;
- financial workshops and sessions;
- financial education fairs, open market events, financial literacy rallies;
- financial education games and savings competitions, financial football matches;
- drawing, photo, essay and video contests on ‘Learn.Save.Earn.’
More activity ideas can be found here.
Global Money Week growth
The number of participating countries* has grown since the initiative launched in 2012:
- 2018 – 151 countries
- 2017 – 137 countries
- 2016 – 132 countries
- 2015 – 124 countries
- 2014 – 118 countries
- 2013 – 80 countries
- 2012 – 21 countries
*including overseas territories
Who is the organizer of Global Money Week?
GMW is an initiative of Child & Youth Finance International (CYFI), a non-profit organization based in the Netherlands. CYFI has been organizing Global Money week for the past 7 years and has built a global movement on financial inclusion, Economic Citizenship Education and entrepreneurship for children and youth around the world. Learn more about Child & Youth Finance International (CYFI) here.
What is the slogan of GMW?
‘Learn.Save.Earn.’ is the official slogan of the Global Money Week (GMW). Initially used as the theme of GMW2017 and transformed into the Campaign’s slogan, we believe it conveys the key messages of the GMW Campaign and supports the goal of the Week by empowering children and youth to not only learn to manage their money wisely, but to help them transfer their knowledge to their families and to entire communities. In addition, the slogan ‘Learn.Save.Earn.’ helps everyone to create a variety of events and activities around these topics that help children and youth to:
- Learn to manage money wisely
- Save for their futures
- Earn for themselves and their families
Where can you learn more about Global Money Week?
CYFI has published 6 GMW Reports from 2013. These Reports will provide you with an overview of activities and events that took place in different countries around the world. They are full of fantastic ideas of how children and youth, communities and countries around the world have taken part in GMWs.